Fennel, Beet and Quinoa Salad
2 medium fennel bulbs
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon olive oil for quinoa
1 cup beets, peeled and cubed
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 small lemon, juiced-2 tablespoons set aside
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Gently toss beets in olive oil and roast at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, slice fennel lengthwise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir and flip fennel occasionally, until it turns tender and golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Once fully cooked, mix in cumin and the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- While fennel is cooking, bring quinoa and 2 cups stock or water to a boil in medium saucepan. Once boiling, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Mince fresh spices and combine with 1 teaspoon salt and remainder of lemon juice. Mix into the quinoa.
- Spoon quinoa into medium casserole dish. Top with fennel and roasted beets. Sprinkle with fennel fronds (the feathery part of the fennel) if desired.