Roasted Cauliflower, Garlic and Leek Soup
3 leeks (about 2 1/2 cups), sliced
1/2 clove garlic, cut into small florets
4 lbs cauliflower (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup oil, for roasting vegetables
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus pinch for roasting vegetables
pinch of pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 cup almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut garlic in half, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt and place in till foil, to make a small pouch.
- Place garlic and cut up cauliflower and leeks on baking sheet and cover with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes, watching to be sure the leeks do not burn.
- In large soup pot or crock pot, combine broth, almond milk, salt, cumin, nutmeg and cloves and mix well over medium low heat.
- Add in roasted leeks and cauliflower. Open the foil pouch of garlic and squeeze the cloves into the pot.
- Allow all the ingredients to simmer over medium low heat for at least 1 hour, or about 6 hours in a crock pot on low. The longer you can cook it for, the more flavorful your soup will be.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the soup until thin and all the cauliflower and leeks have been combined.