Sausage and Zucchini Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 medium acorn squash
1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of black pepper
1 medium zucchini, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup sausage (about 5 Applegate Farms Chicken Breakfast Sausages)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Pierce the skin on the outside of the squash in several places and score the inside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in large skillet. Saute onions over medium low heat until they are translucent.
- Add the sausage and zucchini and raise the heat to medium high so the zucchini and sausage are able to brown. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the zucchini and sausage are frying, melt the 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Mix in sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Brush this mixture on the inside of the squash.
- Spoon the onion, zucchini and sausage mixture evenly into both halves of the squash. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until squash is fork tender.