2 zucchinis, spiralized into noodles
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
3 cups chopped tomatoes, from carton or jar
2 cups whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, from carton or jar
1 1/2 cups strained (or pureed) tomatoes, from carton or jar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste
Meatballs (yields 16 meatballs)
1 pound grass-fed ground beef, 7% fat if available
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon almond flour
¼ small onion, finely minced
2 cups baby spinach, finely minced
1. In a large stock pot, add 1 teaspoon oil of choice. When hot, add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 7-10 minutes.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
3. Once boiling, cover and simmer for at least 3 hours.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended.
3. Form into meatballs and place on a baking sheet (can use a rack on top of the sheet to drain some of the fat if using meat with more than 7%) and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer to the pot of sauce and simmer for at least an hour.
1. Just before you are ready to serve, heat skillet over medium heat.
2. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and add zucchini noodles, cooking for 3-5 minutes or until desired texture is achieved (I prefer al dente).
3. Mix sauce into the zucchini and top with meatballs.